Bernard Kouchner, Corrupt LackeyFeb 8th, 2009 | By De-Construct.net | In Current, Earlier, Former Yugoslavia, Kosovo-Metohija Crisis
The World, According to Kouchner, is his Private Piggy Bank
France’s current Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner is accused of bigotry, corruption and robbing the African countries for personal gain, while the Serbs from Kosovo and Metohija province charge him with far more grievous crimes — condoning ferocious pogroms of Kosovo Serbs and involvement in the atrocious harvesting of vital organs from kidnapped Serbs for sale, by the Albanian terrorists and mafia.
In a book published a week ago, one of France’s most experienced investigative journalists Pierre Pean describes Kouchner as a lackey of U.S. neoconservatives and a wheeler-dealer who used his political positions of power to secure lucrative contracts from impoverished countries.
The bulk of the criticism in “The World According to K.” is leveled at Kouchner’s biased policy positions, siding with American interests to misrepresent the conflicts in Rwanda, Darfur and former Yugoslavia. Pean points to the “cynicism of Kouchner’s doctrine which culminated in his engagement in the wars in former Yugoslavia, in advocating NATO bombardment [of Serbia] and invasion of Iraq in 2003, behind which was his siding with American interests”.
Pean who, in a prior book, revealed former President Mitterrand’s connections with the Vichy regime which collaborated with Nazi Germany during World War II, wrote that Kouchner had set aside conflict of interest in order to receive large sums of money in consultancy contracts from the very dictators he was publicly criticizing, namely President Omar Bongo of Gabon and Denis Sassou Nguesso of Congo-Brazzaville.
Two firms owned by close associates of Kouchner billed Gabon and Congo a total of EUR 4.6 million for reports the former health minister had written on reforming their health insurance systems.
The bills were paid in stages and, according to Pean’s research, some of the money was recovered after Kouchner was named France’s foreign minister on May 18, 2007.
Among else, Pean reveals that co-founder of Doctors without Borders (Médecins sans Frontières), charged 25,000 euros to put together a whitewash report for the oil company Total, accused of exploiting children in collusion with military junta in Burma, aimed at countering the justified accusations of human rights violations.
Pean’s book contains photocopies of contracts signed by Kouchner and it has emerged that some of the leaked documents came straight from the Elysee Palace.
One of the Most Despised Western Politicians Among Kosovo Serbs
Kouchner responded with a long and emotional speech in the French Parliament, saying he was the victim of “an anti-Semitic attack”. To Pean’s accusation that, as a head of the UN Mission in Kosovo (UNMIK), he did nothing to condemn and prevent the widespread killings and ethnic cleansing of Serbs from the province, Kouchner reacted by calling such chages “scandalous lies”.
- Remember the killings in Gacko! Every time a Serb was killed, I would go to the crime scene, to visit the families, even though that was dangerous. I was revolted with every Serbian death. After I left, there were almost no more murders, – Kouchner said.
Appointed by the US-led NATO to head UNMIK in southern Serbian province of Kosovo and Metohija right after NATO aggression on Serbia, Bernard Kouchner remains one of the most despised politicians among Kosovo Serbs, remembered only by evil.
Joyous reunion: UNMIK Chief Bernard Kouchner and then-U.S. Secretary of State Madeleine Albright happily reunite in the southern Serbian province devastated by NATO bombs and in the midst of the biggest bout of ethnic cleansing of Kosovo Serbs and other non-Albanians. Albright, an architect of the US-led NATO aggression against Serbia, is also continuing to profit from the abominable fake state she delivered unto the world.
Commenting Kouchner’s generous self-praise in regards to a heinous massacre of 14 Serbian farmers in the village Gacko, in July 1999, Veljko Odalović, former governor of Kosovo region, explained that, even though Kouchner and the other representatives of international community in the province have done nothing to find and arrest the perpetrators of this appalling crime, “Serbs, in the spirit of their tradition and faith, despite the fact they saw in Kouchner a man responsible for their personal safety, allowed him to attend the funeral”.
- And it is good that he came to see the consequences of such crime. If he had any decency, he had to be shaken to the core. Fourteen caskets were lined up in the center of the village, carrying remains of civilians, who were massacred only because they went to harvest their fields, – Odalović told Belgrade daily Glas Javnosti, stressing that Kouchner was in no danger during his visit to Gacko.
- The greatest number of crimes against the Serbs took place during Kouchner’s mandate and that cannot be denied or replaced with some other “truth”. Let Kouchner explain how was he unable to prevent the pogrom with 50,000 UNMIK members under his direct command, – Odalović said.
Marko Jakšić, Vice President of Serbian municipalities of Kosovo and Metohija, reminded the worst bout of ethnic cleansing of the province’s Serbs and other non-Albanians took place during Kouchner’s reign.
- During that time, Kosovo and Metohija was cleansed of 220,000 Serbs. Kouchner also bears responsibility for 1,500 killed and the same number of kidnapped who, by all indicators, were also liquidated. 30,000 Serbian houses were torched, as well as 137 Serbian Orthodox churches and monasteries, during Kouchner’s rule, – Jakšić recounts the results of Kouchner’s governance.
Zvonimir Stević, Serbia’s State Secretary for Kosovo and Metohija province, said the first head of UNMIK openly and actively rooted for the Albanian separatists.
- Kouchner’s rule was probably the hardest time for Serbs and other non-Albanians in the province. The houses, apartments and farmland of expelled Serbs were usurped. I don’t know whether embezzlement and misappropriation of the funds took place, but I do know that huge amounts of money were invested in the revitalization of the economy without any results, – Stević said.
Suspected of Involvement in KLA Organ Extraction and Trafficking
Prof. Dr. Mila Alečković, honorary President of Serbian World Congress (Srpski Svetski Kongres, SSK), assessed that French doctor had to have been aware of the KLA trade of organs extracted from kidnapped Kosovo and Metohija Serbs, “and it is quite possible he was also taking a percentage” of the profit gained in this heinous manner.
- There is a reasonable doubt that he was involved in the whole thing. In any case, he is a witness. We did not have material evidence to prove the charges, but we do have live witnesses, – Alečković said.
She reminded that last year SSK requested Kouchner to be replaced from the post of France’s minister of foreign affairs, after it was discovered he knew about the macabre organ extractions and trafficking.
Gordana Đikanović, spokeswoman for the Association of the Families of Killed and Kidnapped Kosovo-Metohija Serbs, stressed Kouchner was the only UNMIK chief who refused to receive the Association’s delegation, despite “countless appeals”.
- We know that organ harvesting and sale took place during his time — people were being kidnapped and killed. Kouchner must have been receiving reports about it and we can blame him for inaction, and hold him a suspect for more. All of UNMIK documentation disappeared precisely at the time of Kouchner’s reign. All the documents and reports were taken out and carried to the states in charge of various zones, – Đikanović said.
A Thief and an Opportunist, who Believes in Money and Power Alone
- Kouchner is a thief and an opportunist. He roamed Africa with his consultant firms, robbing those impoverished countries. He wrote a report about the “development of medical services” on some 50 pages, and took 4,6 million euros for it. And that was a one-month job, at the most. If he had done the same thing in France, instead of Africa, he would easily get 25 years in prison. President Sarkozy protects him right now, but the question is for how long, – Alečković, both French and Serbian citizen, said, stressing Kouchner’s opportunism overrides all principles, creed and beliefs.
- In the Stalinist era, Kouchner was a member of the Communist Party of France and assigned a task of following Italian and Albanian communists. His falling in love with Albanians probably took place at that time. Afterward, he joined France’s Socialist Party — up until two days prior to Sarkozy’s presidential appointment. As soon as he realized Ségolène Royal [Socialist Party candidate for the 2007 French presidential election] will lose, he jumped over to the opposing faction, joining Sarkozy’s UNP. By doing so, he demonstrated he has no ideology and believes in nothing, except the quantity of money to be gained. The book of an excellent French reporter Pierre Pean also presents him as a corrupt man, – Alečković stressed.
Kouchner Facilitated Marauding of Kosovo Province After NATO Devastation
Prior to Pean’s valuable investigation, Sweden’s most respected investigative journalist Maciej Zaremba, in his reports about Kosovo province published by major Swedish daily Dagens Nyheter showed how the French opportunist saw war-torn Serbian province as a chance to drain millions.
“In the summer of 1999, as soon as it is clear that the UN will intervene in Kosovo and that a French minister (Bernard Kouchner) will head the mission, the French government sets up a special commission, Mission interministérielle pour lEurope du Sud-Est (MIESE). Mission: to avoid a repetition of Bosnia. In those days French aid amounted to 17 percent of the total assistance, with only five percent returned in the form of contracts for French companies. This time, money shall be made to flow the other way,” Zaremba, who spent 6 months in the Serbian province in preparation for his detailed report, wrote.
He further described the ways in which Kouchner carried out and facilitated the task of “marauding” the province after devastation.
France will “give with one hand and take back with the other”, the commission determines. But there is no time to lose, you have to be the first to arrive at these “bingo markets” where “everything is excessively priced because of the emergency.”
With the blessing of the French Government, the big companies are allowed to dress up their officers in the reserve as KFOR soldiers with the straight forward purpose of fencing in areas of interest and establishing “informal contacts”. You have to build good-will, so don’t hesitate to give a humanitarian helping hand once in a while. Yes, that is what is written. “Pour se faire une place et jouer les éclaireurs, elles n’ont souvent pas hésité à donner un coup de main humanitaire.” Makes you envy the clarity of the French language.
MIESE makes sure that all available channels are exploited within the UN, EU and the World Bank, so that the mission will favour French companies. It is about formulating the procurement needs the correct way. (Unlike in Bosnia where UN launched a tender for mine clearance with dogs, not considering that the French military does not use dogs!)
And look! What a fantastic success! After three years France is in 13th place as donor country (far after Sweden) but has won more than 30 percent of the UNMIK contracts. Lets look at an example of what they did.
When Bernard Kouchner lands in Kosovo in the summer of 1999 there is no mobile telecommunication. German Siemens and French Alcatel submit one offer each. A panel of local experts select Siemens. The offer is the cheapest and it is not colonial. At a fixed lump sum the Germans promise to build a network for Kosovo. The French offer says the network would remain French property and the country code of Monaco would be utilized.
What happens? Bernard Kouchner, Kosovos legislator, head of government and head of justice, all in one person, replaces the UNMIK director of post and telecommunications, an Albanian, with a certain Pascal Copin, who in turn awards the contract to Alcatel. It is the only feasible solution, claims Copin, because only Alcatel (in a collaboration with Monaco Telecom) can provide Kosovo, not a formal state, with a country code.
Result: Seven years later Kosovo boasts the worst and most expensive telephone system in the region, concludes the European Council. Yet every time a Kosovan lifts the receiver, money rattles into French and Monegasque bank accounts, and we are not talking about small money. Close to a hundred million euros over the years, more than Swedens annual aid to Kosovo.